I’ve gotten a lot of questions lately on what hair care products I use to get soft spiral curls. I also put the question out to Twitter to see if this was something my followers would be interested in. The response was pretty strong – So here’s a quick rundown on the hair care products I use on a daily basis.
My Hair Journey
I, like so many others, use to get relaxers. I wanted to fit in and have nice longer hair. Relaxers made my hair easier to straighten. I thought I looked good. Looking back at pictures of me from high school, oh lord! Little did I know my hair was crying out for help. In fact, there was a time in high school, I think it was my sophomore year, where my hair started to break off. badly! I ended up chopping half of it off because it was so uneven. That’s the only time I’ve ever had short hair. I wore it straight and it came to the top of my shoulders. That was a bit of a wake up call for my hair. After that I laid off the chemicals, but my hair was still very damaged.
It took me until college to completely grow out my straggly, half curly, dead ends. I could have done the Big Chopp but I wasn’t ready for it. If I was faced with the same decision today, I would cut it and rock the short curly fro!
After almost three decades, I’ve finally learned how to manage my hair. With curly hair, no two days are the same, but I know the right products to use to make it work. There are a few factors that I consider when getting ready in the morning.
- The weather. I use different products depending on the season and humidity forecast. In the Winter my hair gets dried out by the cold air so I try to keep it moisturized. I’ll use more hair masks and deep conditioners. I’ll also try to dry it before I leave the house. It’s not good for you hair to be wet in below zero conditions. In the Summer my hair can get very frizzy from the humidity. If it’s going to be a high moisture day, I’ll use a curl cream to help define my curls better.y
- Time. Monday through Friday I don’t put a lot of effort into my hairstyle. I’m usually headed to work and don’t have much time to “play” with it. On the weekends though I try to make sure my curl pattern is just right. Hit it with the DevaCurl Supercream and just maybe a blast of blow dryer for serious volume. I will tell you, I use the blow dryer sparingly. I don’t want to put any unnecessary heat on my hair. When I do use it, I use low or cool heat and the diffuser attachment.
- The occasion. I would say 90% of the time I wear my hair down. But that small 10% of the time I like to switch it up. My second favorite hairstyle, the pineapple. For those of you who don’t know, the pineapple is a high ponytail on the top of your head. I’m also partial to a low side pony or braid.
Hair Must Haves
I have soooo many hair products we don’t have the time to go over every single one of t. hem. Some I use for a while, but find something better. These three hair products are tried and true. I use them almost every day and they keep my curls on point.
- Shea Moisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk. I use this on humid days when I want a nice crisp curl. I apply a small amount to wet hair and comb though.
- DevaCurl Supercream Coconut Curl Styler. This product is 100% Sulfate, Paraben and Silicone Free. Plus is smells amazing! I use a small amount at the crown of my head. That’s where my hair seems to be more course. I brush it though and make sure I have a nice curl pattern. Sometimes I’ll wrap my hair around my finger to get a spiral.
- Paul Mitchell’s The Detangler. This right here – This is a life savor. I use it every day faithfully. I apply wet and use as a leave-in conditioner. It helps with any tangles or knots. I usually buy this by the gallon. It only takes a little amount, but I never want to be without it.
These two products are new to my collection and I’m loving them right now! Garnier’s new line called Whole Blends is 100% Paraben free. I chose two that were nourishing and replenishing for my hair. I only shampoo every 5 to 7 days, and conditioner almost every day. When in the shower I comb my fingers through to pull out any knots. It leave my hair feeling so silky smooth.
I strongly recommend all of these products. If you have any questions on what products or styling tools I use – type them below. If you have products you want to shout out, please share in the comments section.